Haverford High School Baseball Program
2020 Information Packet
Head Baseball Coach: Paul Bogosian
Assistant Baseball Coach: Chris Pokorny
Assistant Baseball Coach: Matt Wallace
Head J.V. Baseball Coach: Ed Bruno
Head Freshmen Baseball Coach: James Coyne
Assistant Baseball Coach: Dean Moran
Haverford High School
Principal: Mr. Peter Donaghy
Assistant Principal: Ms. Rosemary Edmiston
Assistant Principal: Mr. John Berardoni
Assistant Principal: Dr. Steve Quinn
Athletic Director: Ms. Joann Patterson
Athletic Trainer: Ms. Katie Young
Baseball Boosters President
Ms. Maria Purdy
BASEBALL RULES & REGULATIONS
- Academics – To be eligible for athletic competition a student must be passing a minimum of two full credit courses. Grades will be reported weekly and a student not passing a minimum of two full credit courses will be ineligible for the week. Any student who is not passing a minimum of two full credit courses at the end of a marking period will be ineligible for three weeks (15 school days).
- Attendance – Student athletes are expected to be in school on time every day. A student is required to be in school by 10:46 am in order to participate in practice or a game. If a student is repeatedly late the student may be ineligible to participate on the day a student has detention, out of school suspension, is completing a probationary period or has an early dismissal due to illness. Exceptions will be made if a student has an approved medical or educational excuse scheduled prior to the date of absence. If a student is absent on a school day prior to a baseball event scheduled on a non-school day, the student will have to present to the coach a parent or guardian note explaining the reason for the school absence prior to the participation in the event.
- Use or Possession of Alcoholic Beverages or Drugs – Use and/or possession of Alcohol or narcotics or illegal controlled substances of any kind, at any time or place (24/7) is strictly prohibited and may result in a suspension from athletic activities. The first offense will allow for denial of participation in and attendance at athletic events including practices for a period of 10 school days beginning on the day the athletic department applies discipline to the student. Return to the team following a suspension will occur in coordination with a referral to the H.E.A.R.T. for counseling. A second offense during an athletic school year could result in a 30-day suspension from the team for the current sports season. Additional offenses may result in removal from the team.
- Criminal Offenses – Students charged with and/or convicted of criminal offenses involving activities or behavior which in the judgment of the Administration and coaches represent a threat to the health, safety or morale of the student or other students on the team during a season may be suspended up to 10 days for a first offense and removed from the team for second or subsequent offenses, upon a determination that the student more likely than not engaged in the activities/behavior alleged or similar objectionable behavior.
- Hazing – A person is guilty of hazing when, in the course of another student ‘s entry into or affiliation with any team or club, she/he intentionally or recklessly engages in conduct, which creates a risk of physical injury, emotional harm and/or creates excessive and/or cruel intimidation. Any form of “initiation or hazing” is prohibited. Athletes who violate the ”hazing” rule will be subject to discipline under Board Policy 248 Unlawful Harassment, the student discipline code and are subject to removal from the team along with possible criminal referral.
- Code of Student Conduct – Participation in an athletic event, practice, games, and travel to and from school are considered an extension of the school day and therefore all behavior is governed by the student code of conduct. Violations of the Student Code of Behavior that occur during athletic events will be disciplined by grade level Principals as if they were classroom actions. Unsportsmanlike behavior and any actions noted by the PIAA will result in a minimum suspension as outlined by the PIAA with an option of additional discipline as determined by the Athletic Department and Principal.
- Team Rules – All students are required to travel to and from events in District supplied Transportation, exceptions are to be reviewed on an individual basis prior to the event. Coaches will establish and inform students of individual team rules, regarding practice and team expectations.
- COACHES’ EXPECTATIONS:
- Be on time.
- Be positive.
- Be a man.
- Accept criticism.
- COME TO PRACTICE PREPARED WITH PROPER ATTIRE AND EQUIPMENT:
Tardiness will not be tolerated.
Toward coaches, other players, and most importantly “YOURSELF”.
Accept responsibility for yourself and your actions.
Coaches are here to help make you a better ballplayer.
- Practice Uniform:
Consisting of: Haverford Baseball T-Shirt or Sleeves, Pullovers, Grey/White Practice Pants, Team Hat, Jackets
Only Haverford Baseball issued apparel should be worn at practices and games.
- Sweatpants will be worn at all indoor practices.
- Glove, Cleats, Bat, Helmet, Etc.
- Baseball hat is to be worn correctly at all times. PLEASE DO NOT DISRESPECT THE GAME OF BASEBALL BY WEARING YOUR HAT BACKWARDS!!! Nothing should be displayed on the outside of your game hats.
- Any team music may not contain curse words or anything offensive to anyone.
- V/Varsity practice begins at 2:50 pm and ends at 5:30 pm.
- Any player arriving late to practice will run. Any player seeking extra help or making up a test will be exempt from this policy. Players should make an effort to complete these commitments during free periods if possible and notify Coach Bogosian the day before.
- You have a doctor’s appointment that can only be done at that time, and is PRE-APPROVED BY THE HEAD COACH (COACH BOGOSIAN)
- This is to be decided on by team captains.
- Game jerseys are to be tucked in at all times if worn.
- NO INAPPROPRIATE DRESS WILL BE TOLERATED IN SCHOOL, ON THE PLAYING FIELD OR AT TEAM FUNCTIONS.
- Any player ejected from a game is automatically out for the next two games. The PIAA mandates one game and the school mandates the second game.
- ALL COMMUNICATION OR CONFLICTS WILL BE HANDLED BY THE COACHING STAFF:
- NO PLAYER IS TO EVER:
- Talk back to an umpire.
- Gesture to an umpire.
- Show them up in anyway.
- Argue a call for any reason.
- PLAYERS ARE TO RESPECT ALL EQUIPMENT AT ALL TIMES. THE THROWING OF BATS, GLOVES, HATS, HELMETS OR ANY OTHER ITEMS WILL NOT BE TOLERATED AND WILL RESULT IN REMOVAL FROM THE GAME OR PUNISHMENT AT PRACTICE. REMEMBER BASEBALL IS A GAME OF FAILURE. HOW PLAYERS DEAL WITH THOSE FAILURES IS WHAT SEPARATES TRUE WINNERS FROM SORE LOSERS.
- THE PLAYERS AND COACHING STAFF WILL USE PROPER LANGUAGE AT ALL TIMES. INAPPROPRIATE LANGUAGE WILL NOT BE TOLERATED AND WILL BE DEALT WITH ACCORDINGLY. THIS ALSO INCLUDES PARENTS. HARASSING UMPIRES HURTS OUR TEAM MORE THAN IT HELPS US. PLEASE LET THE ATHLETES PLAY THE GAME – STAY AWAY FROM OUR BENCH!!!
- THREE THINGS THAT THE COACHING STAFF ASK OF OUR PLAYERS.
- ACCEPT CRITICISM
- MAINTAIN YOUR COMPOSURE
- NEVER BE AFRAID TO FAIL
- PLAYERS ARE TO RESPECT TEACHERS, STAFF MEMBERS AND ADMINISTRATORS.
- The locker-room is to be kept clean at all times.
- No cleats are permitted in school or on school buses. Please wear sneakers onto the bus and change into cleats at the field.
- Uniforms must be taken home and washed on a weekly basis.
- MARCH 2nd – 4th – TRYOUTS
- THE FOLLOWING SATURDAYS’:
- Saturday, March 14th – Scrimmage for Varsity @ Maple Zone, Aston
- Saturday, March 28th – J.V./V @ Unionville
- Saturday, May 2nd – J.V./V @ Ocean City, NJ
- SPRING VACATION:
Practices – Monday, Tuesday. Game on Wednesday, April 8th.
- Carpenter Cup Tryouts – Haverford High School, Saturday, May 23rd, 7:30 am until 1:00 pm.
- Game 1 – Wednesday, June 17th @ 4 p.m.
- Game 2 – Friday, June 19th @ 2 p.m.
- Game 3 – Monday, June 22nd @ 1 p.m.
- Game 4 – Tuesday, June 23rd @ 10 a.m.
Barrett All-Star Game – Saturday, May 30th at Neumann University, 12:00 pm.
Two seniors from each team will be selected. Players arrive at 10:40 am.
- Facebook – http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=1f#!/pages/Haverford-High-School-Baseball/117039195017425
- Website – http://haverfordhighschoolbaseball.com
Created by Jake Hartline fall of 2013.
Thank you for your cooperation in advance. Please do not approach us after a game, win or lose (24-hour rule). That is not the proper time to speak. Parents are encouraged to help out on hoagie day and team dinners.